A lot of small businesses that we work with have WordPress websites; however, because solo entrepreneur's or SMBs don't have a lot of resources, many skimp on things like maintenance, security and back ups.
As data security becomes an increasingly important issue, and a company's web presence imperative to their reputation online, I'm increasingly beginning to think that perhaps WordPress isn't the right solution for customers who don't have the time or resources to keep WordPress core files and plugins up to date.
Squarespace is a very robust publishing platform and, although it doesn't quite compete with all the bangs and whistles that the developer community have created for WordPress, it offers many of the key features that small businesses require including top-of-the-line security, an enterprise-grade infrastructure, and around-the-clock support.
If you need a website that's safe, secure and won't require a lot of custom advanced features, and you have limited time to put into anything other than publishing content as part of your marketing, then it could be worth you having a look.
That's not to say that WordPress isn't a fantastic publishing platform. I've been using it since version 1.0 and have watched as it's grown and grown and become more and more sophisticated with a wide range of features I could never have imagined. It literally is shaping the internet!
The other thing that I wanted to share this week is just how great an app Bear Writer is. Available for Mac and iOS, it's “a beautiful, flexible writing app for crafting notes and prose”.
I've used Evernote for years, but have found Bear to be that bit more focused on the writing experience. It's features include:
- Advanced Markup Editor that supports and highlights over 20 programming languages
- Rich previews while writing so you see prose, not code
- In-line support for images and photos
- Cross-Note Links that let you build a body of work, quickly reference other notes, and more
- Quickly add todos to individual notes to keep yourself on task
- Multiple themes to offer a style for everyone
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, and more
- Smart Data Recognition of elements like links, emails, addresses, colors
- Hashtags to quickly find and organize notes however you like
- One-tap formatting on iPhone and iPad with a custom shortcut bar
- Focus Mode hides notes and other options when it matters
- All your notes are stored in plain text for the ultimate in portability
- Effortless, secure, and private multi-device sync via iCloud
- Regular updates to keep you and your writing current